Friday, April 18, 2014

Dragon Friday: Talon Cover Thoughts


Happy Dragon Friday!


A couple days ago, the cover for Talon was revealed.  If you haven't seen it yet, here it is (with summary):



Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they’re positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.

 Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George.

 Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon’s newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey: and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember’s bravery, confidence and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the Order has ingrained in him: and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons.


***


So, my thoughts on the cover.  Back when they were first coming up with the design for Talon, the team at Harlequin Teen showed me four possible cover concepts.  And while the other three were really cool and lovely and dragon-y, the vivid red cover instantly jumped right off the page.  (I immediately emailed my editor and said something along the lines of: "if they don't choose this cover I'm legit going to cry."  She said she would pass that along, lol.)


 Simply put, I adore it.  I love the shifting, metallic red scales, the play of shadows over the muscles, the striking gold title with the dragon in the center of the O.  Its elegant and mysterious and the color is absolutely perfect.  I know some might be disappointed that there isn't a picture of an actual dragon on the front, but I'm quite relieved that there isn't.  I'm rather picky about my dragons; I know exactly what they look like, and a picture could destroy the image I had of them.  With this cover, you're free to imagine them as you choose.

 

So what do you guys think?  And when you think "dragon" what do you picture?  Let me know your thoughts!

-Julie









11 comments:

  1. I love this cover! It speaks Dragon to me. Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cover! Have to admit that the red really makes it pop, which is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is amazing. I really like it. The cover pops out. I cant wait to read Talon. When I think dragon, I picture a unique firebreathing creature. I also picture Mushoo from Mulan. Haha. Good luck with this series Mrs. Kagawa and I hope the movie is as good as the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover wasn't what I was expecting, but I'm falling in love with it regardless! It's nice to have some change from all the regular pictured covers out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew the cover wouldn't be very obviously dragon-y, as with a dragon fully depiced, but I wasn't expecting this very compelling and textured cover! Love the colour and look of it, and makes me want to pet it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this cover & can't wait to read the book! Whenever I think "dragons" I picture the dragons from the Breath of Fire IV game. They're all unique and beautiful. I can't wait to see what creative and amazing creatures you come up with! :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the cover!! It was among my many guesses--sort of in a way--for what i thought it would look like!

    It lets you imagine the dragon's appearance, so it's freaking awesome!!!

    Cannot wait to read it either! Even went as far as emailing Laurie to put a request that you can come to St. Louis for touring! She passed it along to the right people and I will be crossing my fingers for the next few months hoping that you get to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit, when I first saw the cover, I was like "What?" and kinda disappointed. But, the more I see it, the more I like it (which is why I called it beautiful in my previous comment). And I understand and agree when you say that letting us picture the dragon is best, because your version might not be ours, and that would be very disappointing to some. So yeah, great cover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I
    CANNOT
    WAIT
    TO
    READ
    IT!!!!!!!!!!

    This is all I can say! I'm too excited!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're going to ruin me again, aren't you? :))
    The cover is breathtaking and that red is so striking. I love it! And when you say "dragon" I usually picture Smaug from The Hobbit because I just love the movies and that's what a dragon looks like to me.
    Good luck with the series. I can't wait to read this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's gorgeous...and my favourite colour! Love the scales! It looks fluid and soft yet powerful. *LOVE*

    ReplyDelete