Wednesday, October 31, 2012

NaNo is here again



Hey fellow NaNoers.  This is a little post a wrote a couple years ago about that crazy time of year known as NaNo WriMo.  I thought I would share it again, as I think it bears repeating.  Just remember, we can do this.

***


Yup, its that time of year again.

NaNo Wrimo is upon us once more.

Even as I type this, I'm checking the NaNoWriMo official site, which is being ridiculously slow tonight, probably as hundreds (thousands?) of NaNoers are doing the exact same thing.

If you are one of these brave (insane) souls, kudos to you! Its comforting to know, as we gear up for the most frantic, stressful, neurotic month of the year (Christmas doesn't even come close) that there are thousands of writers going through the exact same thing. So, as the 1st of November looms ever closer, let's promise ourselves these things...

We will write everyday, through rain and sleet and falling snow, through TV shows and outings and parties and people who want you to socialize. By now, you should have warned any family, friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, relatives, and spouses that they will probably not see you until December.





















We will not let our inner editor tell us our writing is crap. (Its 50k words in 30 days, its SUPPOSED to be crap.) This also goes for going back and "fixing things." Do not worry about fixing things; that will be December's project.


We will not fall behind.

If we do fall behind, we will soldier on and not give up.

We will not let the siren song of email, twitter, facebook, myspace, blogs, ect ect ect distract us from churning out our words. This also goes for phones, friends, children, pets, spouses, ect.


















At the end of the month, we will have written a 50,000 word mess of a story, with dangling plot threads, nonsensical scenes, holes you could drive a semi through, and so many mistakes our English teachers would scream, but we will have written a complete NOVEL. And we won't worry about the mess; we can always clean it up later.

So, my fellow NaNoers...on this last night of October, as the costumed children return from their candy begging, let us eat a good meal, get a good night's sleep, and say farewell to our loved ones.

For tomorrow, we NaNo.

I'll see you at the finish line.

8 comments:

  1. I am SO psyched for NaNoWriMo. Here we go again! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited. This is the first year that life won't explode on me and I can actually participate. *knocks on wood*

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome pep talk ^_^ but apparently, my mom's computer schedule on my compy is gonna be all wacky tacky all November >_>
    will prepare for next year then... *walks off sulking*

    ReplyDelete
  4. MY POWER'S OUT :( I'm gonna be so behind this year. Staying at my aunt's for the day, but in the afternoon, I have to go back to a powerless house.

    Good luck, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gahh! Don't remind me! I started on the first day, wrote about 400 words and then just couldn't do it anymore! That's mostly because of the Homework Monster, but then that's also me making excuses. Someone save me.... -Kirra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck everyone! Wish I could do it this year, but there's the Homework Monster!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel kind of like an actual writer now. One of my favorite authors is a WriMo. I also feel strangely stalkerish because my NaNo is an Iron Fey fanfiction... :)

    Good luck, everyone!

    Queen of Air and Darkness
    41,206 words

    ReplyDelete